Well, this year I watched many Bollywood films but did not find time to post detailed reviews of all of them. Here are reviews of the movies I've seen and haven't posted as yet.
- Paa - 0.5/10 - Drama - Amitabh Bachchan, Vidya Balan and Abhishek Bachchan. This movie was real boring from the time the opening credits rolled. I kept fast forwarding to get to the 'good' parts, but there were'nt any. No amount of film promotion could make this dud, promoted by the Bachchan family even a reasonable hit. The story of the film was long drawn and filled with holes. Just how can a 12 year old boy with progeria be more than 6 feet tall??
- De Dana Dan - 1/10 - Romantic Comedy - starring Akshay Kumar, Katrina Kaif and Sunil Shetty. This movie was total crap. From a simple story of dognapping, the script changed to a confusing mishmash of unrelated scenes and songs. Also, those pregnant - arranged marriage - dahej dowry scenes were so low and uncouth...typical Akshay Kumar flick!!
- Aao Wish Karein - 7/10 - Fantasy - starring Aftab Shivdasani and Aamna Sharief. This film had a simple but genuine story and was actually quite funny. The character actors complimented the main actors and the overall performance was quite good. The film moved at a good pace and was well directed. If 'Aao Wish Karein' had been promoted by the producers, it would have actually done well at the box office.
- Tum Mile - 3/10 - Disaster Drama - starring Emraan Hashmi and Soha Ali Khan - This movie is a slow paced movie about the Mumbai floods and how it brings together a couple that had once broken up. The songs were good...the rest was too slow paced and filled with confusing flashbacks.
- Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani - 5/10 - Romantic Comedy - starring Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif. This was an OK film, good timepass, but nothing great about this romantic comedy. Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif really suit each other and make a good pair...sorry Salman!! Songs were good. However, the stereotypical references to the Christian community were in bad taste.
- London Dreams - 4/10 - Musical Drama - starring Salman Khan, Ajay Devgan and Asin. This movie is about the competition between two lead singers in a rock band. The story resembled the life of Robbie Williams of Take That fame, a popular music star who got tied down by drugs and almost ruined his career. 'London Dreams' was very badly cast - neither Salman Khan nor Ajay Devgan suited the role of singers. Being a musical, I expected the songs to be much better, but none of the tunes were even remotely hummable. Script was also poor and Salman was doing too much overacting.
- Wake Up Sid - 2/10 - Drama Romance - starring Konkona 'Ugly' Sen Sharma and Ranbir Kapoor. The film is about a young handsome guy in love with an older ugly woman. The movie was too boring for me to watch till the end, I just could not get the script. Ranbir's acting was good. Tell me, if a younger guy falls in love with an older woman, why do they always have to show her as being so unattractive??
- Wanted - 5/10 - Action - starring Salman Khan and Ayesha Takia. Salman plays an undercover cop, Radhey, masquerading as a hitman. He is attracted to a local call centre executive who is being stalked by a high ranking police officer. The movie is fast paced and the action sequences are unbelievable. The songs are good, but the jokes suck and the script has lots of holes. The most irritating part was Vinod Khanna's outburst in the end that blew his son's cover. Anyway, undercover or not, only dirty cops go around shooting so many people!!
- Life Partner - 1/10 - Drama Comedy - starring Govinda, Fardeen Khan and Genelia D'souza. Oh, this movie was so irritating...too much shouting and screaming!! It is all about the drama of love marriage vs arranged marriage vs divorce. Somehow, I can't believe people actually divorce or even think of divorce for such flimsy reasons...but maybe I am too naive!! Genelia is full of helium and the wrong expressions and the 'Kuke Kuke' song is like nails being scratched on a blackboard!
- Love Aaj Kal - 3/10- Romance - starring Saif Ali Khan, Deepika Padukone and Giselle Monteiro. This is a fall in love and elope movie. Saif Ali Khan continues showcasing his two expressions in this film - Saif with fake smile and Saif with no smile!! They had to cast a foreigner in the role of the shy Punjabi girl Harleen, because, hey, there are no shy demure Punjabi girls !! This movie is another of those lame movies that show that stalking or following a girl is good and that girls like it...oh so untrue...a real Punjabi girl would have slapped the shit out of Saif Ali Khan's Sardar character for doing something like that!!
- Kambakkth Ishq - 0.5/10 - Comedy - starring Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor, Amrita Arora and Aftab Shivdasani. This was a really cheap, raunchy, characterless romantic comedy that showed that neither the hero nor the heroine had any ethics...plus there was too much screaming and shouting...I am giving it a 0.5 out of pure pity!! The moral of the story is - You are cool if you have numerous affairs with girls from other communities, but for marriage, choose someone of your own community, even if she is a raving bitch!! Akshay Kumar is such a sleazeball...mistreating women!! Really, when I watch such films, with Punjabi's/North Indians as lead characters, I begin to feel that they have no morals, manners, character or chivalry... else why do these films become a hit!!
- Luck by Chance - 1/10 - Drama - starring Farhan Akhtar and Konkona Sen Sharma. A very boring, slow paced movie about a struggling actor, Luck by Chance was simply not watchable. Farhan 'Acne' Akhtar should just stay away from acting...he just does not have it in him.
Did you watch any of these films?? How would you rate them??