Dateless On Valentines Day
Like almost every Valentines Day of my life, this February 14 th too seems to be heading towards a dateless evening ! How depressing !
"I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon". ~Author Unknown
When I look through the shop windows at the Valentines Day cards and gifts on display, I can't help but wish someone would buy me some of the stuff on sale - even a plastic rose would do. Things look so pretty and pink, I feel like buying them for myself. However, I stop myself coz I heard somewhere that if you do, then you are jinxed to buy them for yourself all your life !
My last non dateless Valentines' Day was in college when I went to see the movie 'While You Were Sleeping' with a friend. Though I go on dates the rest of the year, I always find myself dateless on Valentines Day.
"Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." - Robert Frost
So, what do I do on Valentines' Day ?
1. Sit at home watching romantic movies on StarMovies, HBO, Hallmark and the other movie channels. Usually they always play mushy flicks like You've Got Mail, When Harry Meets Sally, Serendipity, Love Actually or While You were Sleeping for lonely souls! Watching them makes me feel that there is someone perfect out there and that destiny will finally bring us together - and we'll be married for happily ever after ! Ooh what lovely dreams.
2. Buying and eating stuff like sweets, ice creams, chips and cakes which take me back to my childhood and give a bit of childish joy.
3. Doing a facial and having a long bath.
4. I always leave office early pretending I have to get ready for a Valentines' Day dinner date !
5. Valentine's Day usually ends with me chatting on the net with strangers or other dateless friends. We usually talk about the mindless advertising and marketing gimmicks of card and gift companies like Hallmark and Archies that promote Valentines Day and cause depression.
Valentines Day is tough for singles but I bet it really sucks bigtime if you have a boyfriend or husband and still don't do anything special on Valentines Day. The world and internet is full of people who hate Valentine's Day. Valentines Day haters are usually folks who are scared to ask someone out, busy with their work, refused a date, loners, computer nerds or people who think they are too ugly !
The day after Valentine's Day -
Well, I make up stories about the fun Valentines' Day movie and dinner date I had with a 'friend'. My friends also tell me stories of the roses they bought 'someone', 'a fiancee' and the telephone calls they made to 'long distance lovers' !! Later on, I find out from the office chowkidar (guard) that they were working really late in office. Really, what is the world coming to ??
So, what are you planning for Valentines Day ?