Shah Rukh Khan as the host of Kaun Banega Crorepati Show ( KBC)
Last evening, I caught the first episode of KBC or Kaun Banega Crorepati hosted by Shahrukh Khan to see what was different. Kaun Banega Crorepati is India's version of the popular 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Show' and has a prize money of 2,00,00,000 Rupees, 15 questions and four lifelines -phone a friend, audience poll, 50-50 and flip. Originally hosted by Amitabh Bachchan, it is now hosted by Shahrukh Khan. Here are some points which I thought I'd mention -
1. Shahrukh Khan started off KBC by saying he would not use 'shudh' or pure Hindi but the language of the people which is a mix of Hindi, English and Urdu. 'Lock kiya jaaye' became 'freeze kiya jaaye' and 'I want to quit' became 'Mein gale milna chahta hoon'. ( Lets' freeze the answer and Give me a hug). Shahrukh also used phrases like 'Inshallah' which added a totally new flavor to the show.
2. He wasn't stammering as usual - must have done the take a couple of times. He was nervous in the beginning but so was Amitabh Bachchan when he first started doing KBC. Amitabh got better but Shahrukh may do better than him coz he connects with a larger audience.
3. Shahrukh Khan was not looking good. The lights and makeup played havoc with his already ordinary looking features. Nose looked far too large and teeth were crooked. His smile does not touch his eyes and looks fake, so he should avoid it if he does't really feel like smiling. Most of his jokes on KBC fell flat.
4. Like a typical Delhi-ite Shahrukh Khan made himself the 'King' of his jungle - the KBC studio and decided to do and say whatever he wished. Poking fun at the contestants and laughing like a maniac at his own jokes. He renamed the computer from 'ComputerJi' to 'Compaq Da' and 'Compaq guru' with reference to the brand name and the region the contestants came from - Bengal and Andhra Pradesh. Shah Rukh spoke some rehearsed Bengali and Telugu which I could not understand and he did'nt bother to explain either.
5. Contestant One - Prasenjit Sarkar -This bengali dude is the rollover KBC contestant from the nine month old unfinished show hosted by Amitabh Bachchan which stopped due to his health problem. He is the only contestant to face both hosts and he seemed to make Shahrukh Khan pretty uncomfortable.
6. Contestant Two - Romesh Gugilla - After saying that Romesh and his family members names were difficult to pronouce, Shahrukh Khan decided to call Ramesh funny uncool names like Googy and Gooey !! This was even after Romesh said he wanted to be called Rom. Come on Shahrukh, you are not a firang !
7. Lastly the end - Shahrukh Khan hugs guests too tightly, massages them and blows wet kisses to 'boys' and girls back home. Yeah, Shahrukh we know you are bisexual but no need to make it so obvious. (Once when ShahRukh Khan was in Delhi shooting for a film, I actually saw him feeling up the lafangas or vagabounds who had gathered to watch the shooting!)
Why did Amitabh Bachchan quit KBC when he was getting great money for it ?
I'd say this was because of a real weird contestant who came on the show. He had spooky tantric eyes and kept touching Amitabh Bachchan's ring after each question. Though this guy did'nt win a dime, Amitabh Bachchan fell seriously ill a few episodes later. Knowing the superstitious person Mr.Bachchan and his family is I bet he quit cause he did'nt want to face this sort of situation again.
Lastly, who was better in KBC, Shah Rukh Khan or Amitabh Bachchan -
I'd say Shah Rukh Khan. Amitabh was quite monotonous and a bit boring.
Did you watch Shahrukh Khan in KBC - Kaun Banega Crorepati ?
Tags - Shahrukh Khan KBC Kaun Banega Crorepati